One of the most significant Jacobean houses in England with 31 opulent rooms on view. Set in a 'Capability' Brown landscaped park, with walled Victorian kitchen garden. Visit the recently restored historic stables, complete with horses and Victorian groom or the Victorian service wing to see the kitchen, laundry and dairy
Facilities – at a glance
- Suitable for children of all ages
- Parking onsite
- Facilities: Ramps, 4 wheelchairs and 4 motorised scooters (must pre-book)
- Accessible toilets
- Opening Times: House open daily Apr-Sep (see website for times); Oct, 12-4. Stables, service wing and gardens open daily, Oct, 10-5; Nov-23 Dec, 27 Dec-1 Jan, Wed-Mon 10-4; 2 Jan-11 Feb and 12-18 Feb, Sat-Sun 10-4; 19 Feb-29 Mar, Wed-Sun 10-4; (last entry
Also in the area
About the area
Essex is full of pleasant surprises. It has the largest coastline of any county in England, with its fair share of castles, royal connections and scenic valleys. Take Colchester, for example, which was built by the Romans and is Britain’s oldest recorded town. Its castle contains the country’s largest Norman keep and yet, a stone’s throw from here, East Anglia’s newest arts centre promises to put Colchester firmly on the map as Essex’s capital of culture.
Tidal estuaries are plentiful and their mudflats offer migrating birds a winter feeding place. Essex was known as the land of the East Saxons and for centuries people from all over Europe settled here, each wave leaving its own distinctive cultural and social mark on the landscape. Walking a little off the beaten track will lead you to the rural retreats of deepest Essex, while all over the county there are ancient monuments to explore:
- the great Waltham Abbey
- Greensted, thought to be the oldest wooden church in the world
- the delightful village of Pleshey has one of the finest examples of a former motte-and-bailey castle
- Hedingham Castle, magnificently preserved and dating from the 11th century.
Places to Stay
Restaurants and Pubs
Why choose Rated Trips?
Your trusted guide to rated places across the UK
The best coverage
Discover more than 15,000 professionally rated places to stay, eat and visit from across the UK and Ireland.
Choose a place to stay safe in the knowledge that it has been expertly assessed by trained assessors.
Plan your next trip
Search by location or the type of place you're visiting to find your next ideal holiday experience.
Read our articles, city guides and recommended things to do for inspiration. We're here to help you explore the UK.